Re: [LAU] recording my new band

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 06:14:01 EEST

On 08/09/2009 12:59 PM, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Loki Davison<loki.davison@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Ahh, so 2 channels is the way to go? I'd love to be able to change the
>> relative volume of the instruments afterwards as i've got a habit of
>> playing a little too loud vs the lead singer ;) Also our lead
>> guitarist is often way too quiet. Though if everyone has there own mic
>> i guess you get strange phase effects? A pair of condensers is best?
>> Non-matched ok?
>>

> A pair is easiest; I don't know what's best. If you close mic each
> instrument, then I don't think you'd have noticeable phase issues, but
> you'd need at least 6 mics and setup time increases. If it's a jam,
> why not concentrate on playing and just throw up the 2 mics in a
> sensible spot? The more time I spend messing around in software,
> checking levels, etc., the less musical I feel. YMMV.

It depends on if he wants to play music or record it.

If the mics are well positioned and angled and the gain levels are
correct then you can get a decent live sound.

I enjoy setting up a desk and mics if I am definitely going to record
something for future production use but if it's just to get a snapshot
of the session for post rehersal study then 1 mic in the center of the
room is usually enough. Chuck another one on the kick and snare and one
for vocals.

If you really need to get a polished product, redo each instrument
individually after the initial recording using the master as a time base
or got to a professional studio and pay them to do the hard work and
make sure your sound is captured cleanly. You can get the masters from
them for working with on your own editor.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd