Re: [LAU] LinuxSampler higher priority than the audio card or jack?!

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 20:13:55 EEST

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:34:41AM +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Does your system use PAM limits.conf? Most of the online documentation
> suggests a value of 95 for the rtprio setting for the audio group. Having
> this thread get 98 is odd, it implies you have some other setting or are using
> some other method. Either way, the process would have had to request this
> value itself - nobody could really have done it for him.
>
> The values of 65 probably come from the Jack API however that comes from
> linking with the process, it is not something jackd does.
>
> Your ps output does not include the associated uid however if LinuxSampler
> were running as root it could quite easily give itself rtprio 98.

Yes I have limits.conf. I have it set up in the standard jack way.

I vaguely recall a way to set separate limits for different applications, but I've since forgotten where I found that. If so, perhaps I can put a limit on linuxsampler so it doesn't grab a higher priority than the audio card, or jackd itself!

Thanks

-ken