Re: [LAU] [ot] a little help with bootloaders...

From: TheOther <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 15:54:33 EEST

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm having a bit of a worry over an istallation: I have a computer with a
> windows on the first partition, unfortuintely it must remain there. Then on
> the space behind it I want to install my Linux. How should I go about
> bootloaders?
> I could install grub in the MBR right up front, but then I should take care
> of win's bootloader, in any case win is known to simply overwrite another
> bootloader, if it feels like updating. Wouldn't really want to risk it. Is
> there a way to put grub at the start of the Linux partition and make it known
> to win, tat there's another bootloader sitting there, waiting to be started?
> Kindest regards and THANKS!
> Julien

Hello Julien,

You didn't say which version of Windows you're running. With Win95
and Windows NT, I had no trouble installing Linux with GRUB using the
Master Boot Record (MBR). As has been said before, install Windows
first and Linux second.

But when I got my laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed, this did
not work. After Linux was installed, Vista would not boot. I did a
Vista reinstall and forgot about Linux on that machine.

On my desktop I had a SCSI drive and an IDE drive. Windows was on the
IDE drive and Linux was on the SCSI drive. I was able to Dual-boot
with Win95 or Windows NT with Linux, but I settled on a much easier
solution which didn't risk the Windows installation or the Linux
installation.

By having 2 drives in the desktop, I used the BIOS to select which
hard drive to boot first. If I wanted Windows, I booted the IDE
drive. If Linux, then I booted the SCSI drive.

In Linux I could view the entire Windows drive which was formatted in
FAT or FAT32. The reverse was not true since I was using EXT3 for the
Linux drive.

If you only have 1 hard drive, then the link to the howto already
provided should get you there, unless you have a Vista installation.
If you do have Vista, then I'd do more research to see if anyone is
dual-booting Vista and Linux.

Best,
Stephen.