Re: [LAU] ableton live in vmware

From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 22:00:38 EEST

Josh Lawrence wrote:

> I'm convinced that, if anyone on the face of the planet can pull off
> writing an AL-alike application, it would be you, Paul. :)

I'm not Paul, but I'd be willing to participate in such a project.

Actually this (a live daw) might be the largest blind angle in linux
audio, and as others I survive with good-enough home brewed stuff (mine
is done in chuck, I imagine most use pd or supercollider). Mine is
working ok, getting more and more polished, but still only does what I
need the most (although some of that is outside the scope of live, like
algorithmic improvisations guided by user input).

If I had a (much) better performing backend and a drag/drop +
midi-leaning gui, I'd be most of the way for my needs. If my effords
were put into a common codebase where others implemented *their* needs,
I wonder how far we'd be :-)

Any thought? Any almost-there project that we could/should convince to
take a live turn and throw our efforts into? Maybe if the community
could work out a proposed roadmap, we could look at it together, see who
could work on what and if the required skills were within reach.

NB: I never used ableton live, but saw it, know others that use it, and
it *seems* to be a time saver for what I do live.

NB2: I'm not gonna start the above mentioned project myself. There are
too many areas (esp gui programming) that I know nothing about.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte