Re: [LAU] Fwd: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 17:16:14 EEST

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Rob<lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Nope, but if you are the next undiscovered John Williams and not a computer
> scientist, what I'm seeing is that Ableton will probably get in your way
> less than half a dozen loosely connected programs with few if any sensible
> default settings and little to no way to save all their states at once

with all due respect, if someone is the next undiscovered john
williams then their choice of software is likely to play a large role
in their "discovery". somebody like williams has a huge set of
compositional skills that have absolutely nothing to do with software
tools.

moreover, what happens is someone is the next iannis xenakis or
alternatively the next steve reich? actually, reich is probably a bad
example, my guess it that he would have loved Live during the early
part of his career. lets pick, say, gyorgy ligeti instead. do you
seriously think that Live has anything whatsoever to offer such
composers when compared to "academic" sound tools like CSound,
SuperCollider or Pure Data?

so as usual, it all depends on context. Live is a wickedly good
program, created from a very great vision, and with very great skill.
But its one program among many, one tool in a toolbox, and its not
the answer to any and every music software problem. even one of its
originators told me that if you were actually an audio engineer rather
than a musician, and/or were doing straight tracking of live
musicians, then although Live would work, it would probably not be the
best tool choice.