Re: [LAU] Fwd: What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 17:22:37 EEST

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Paul Davis<paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> so as usual, it all depends on context. Live is a wickedly good
> program, created from a very great vision, and with very great skill.
> But its one program among many,  one tool in a toolbox, and its not
> the answer to any and every music software problem. even one of its
> originators told me that if you were actually an audio engineer rather
> than a musician, and/or were doing straight tracking of live
> musicians, then although Live would work, it would probably not be the
> best tool choice.

That's precisely my point I was saying earlier. :-) If I were doing
more loop-based music, I'd be all over something like Live (or some
Linux approximation), but I am doing progressive heavy metal and
orchestral/symphonic music, so Live (or some Linux approximation)
would not work so well doing that. Not saying that kind of music
*can't* be done using something like Live, it's just not really suited
for it (at least going by what I read on the website), whereas
traditional DAW & sequencer apps work very well for that.

-- Brett