Re: [LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 18:08:49 EEST

On 09/02/2009 11:30 PM, Niklas Klügel wrote:
> cunnilinux himself schrieb:
>
>>> Some people here (more or less) desperately need a similar application for linux.
>>>

>> off topic, but...
>> people in linux audio scene always DESPERATELY need something just
>> like a copy of some fancy (commercial) app on win/mac.
>> that's the main and only reason why linux is (semi-)deficient in the
>> pro audio world.
>>

> just to add my 2 cents...
>
> regarding monolithic vs. modular (across applications):
> while the latter (theoretically) allows for more flexibility of
> processing, akin to the proven unix-concepts of pipelining (and
> therefore the development of something jack-alike for audio/video etc
> became an obvious evolution for -primarily- LAU/D), it does not allow
> for certain common concepts in the workflow of composition and dsp.
> technically - or at least _without hassle_. those include nearly all
> operations that:
> 1a) allow you to temporarily bounce (aka freezing) parts of the signal
> chain (tracks, single processed clips, subchannels) - thus saving cpu
> cycles in rather complex arrangements.
> 1b) keep sequencing and time-information on
> processed/bounced/re-recorded material
> 1c) saving disk-space and processing time by recording only the
> necessary parts of the bounce while still being a proper/correct bounce.
> 2) modifying a group of modules in the signal chain and the sequence
> data e.g. cloning, deleting, replacing etc.
> 3) exchange meta-information such as the set of notes in a track to e.g.
> allow samplers to efficiently just load the samples needed to play the
> track, prefetching large chunks of audio-data or sub-track tempi for
> sync'd f/x.
> 4) limit the amount of organization in 1x) and mixing units
> (pre-/post-fx or mixer or sub-channels and modulation sources across tracks)
> I am sure you can come up with some more. Those are all points taken
> care of in halfway sane, up-to-date DAWs that are monolithic and points
> like 1& 2 are basic editing operations that - for me - increase the
> efficiency by a factor of 4 in time spent fiddling with the arrangement.
> The early versions of Ableton didnt do 1) for example and my time spent
> on organizing heavy arrangements (30-50 tracks with lots of automated
> f/x) was unbearable, not to mention that the quality of execution of the
> sequencing and composition itself suffered due to that.
> 5) of course easy recall of chains(+sequence data) etc
> These points are of conceptual nature.
>
> regarding supercollider&csound vs ableton:
> the power of sc3&csound lies exactly in their monolithic nature, the
> deep integration of sequencing (and processing sequences) and signal
> processing. This has nearly nothing to do with the principle of
> interconnecting rather autarkic applications needles to say jack.
>
> I don't want to comment too much on the state of LA and don't want to be
> unjust to the devs. From my developer-view most technologies and
> [...]

Great post. You have summarised the current state of LA "things" very well..

I would like to add that state of the art is a difficult mark to keep up
with especially when you are not being paid to care about it.

What I see happening is a gradual expansion of the level of expertise
and resources available for development.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd