Re: [LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 20:47:44 EEST

On Thursday 03 September 2009 10:25 am, Paul Davis wrote:
> > important. Having most of your available effects produce something
> > unusable by default, or worse yet, no noise at all, only helps
> > engineers and John Cage wannabes with too much time on their hands
> > whose music is made only for other engineers and John Cage wannabes
> > with too much time on their hands. The software becomes less a tool
> > and more an impediment to creativity.
>
> do you consider brian eno to be an engineer or a john cage wannabe?

Kind of both, since he went to art school, but I don't think you can deny
he's had too much time on his hands since getting rich off of Roxy. Anyone
can spend a year learning each new synth variation if they're well-off (or
a child below working age and living with his parents, as I was when I
learned to program the DX7 myself in 1984.)

For people who need to get work done and don't have time to dick around for
months, having defaults as examples to start with is essential. Besides,
given any synth that actually has presets, for every preset-wiping Eno
there's a preset-wiping Wakeman who proves how very, very important presets
are to not sounding terrible.

Rob