Re: [LAU] off topic (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 22:01:48 EEST

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM, cunnilinux himself<cunnilinux@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> ... No further need for musicianship or even any real technical knowledge of studio arts and practices.
>> Just switch to Windows, buy mucho VSTs, press the big "Proceed" button, and away we go.
>> No more need to concern ourselves with context or relevance, we can at last wallow in an orgy
>> of self-congratulatory pop.
>
> i'd rather say "mainstream" than "pop".
> audio production is mainly about ready solutions nowadays.
> well, i was ironic in my posts, but i still don't consider linux as a
> valuable platform for that game.
> it's much better suited for doing custom & unusual things.
> imnsho.
> if i need something special that no one else uses, i'd definitely do
> it with linux.

Or buy dedicated hardware analog modulars like Future Retro XS and
Analogue Solutions Red Square. IMHO they sound a lot better anyways,
you have a wide open sound palate, and its arguably a lot quicker if
your time is more important than money. Linux can sound great - I have
an Oasys that to me sounds incredible, especially for 2005 hardware -
but I've yet to hear anything on Linux free or commercial that comes
close to my ears. I tried Spectronics RMS and Reaper on Linux and
hated their sound. ymmv.

Don't get me wrong - most of the world is going software and nothing
is going to stop it. I haven't used anything besides Linux
professionally or personally in over 10 years. I use Rosegarden and
seq24 for a sequencer often, and I like Sonic Visualiser a lot. While
never using it as I'm not a DJ, I see the value of something like AL
for Linux.

My point is that if your goal is doing "doing custom & unusual things"
with audio on Linux then we're already there, though imho its sound is
inferior to dedicated hardware and its a huge PITA. To be fair, from
what I've heard its a PITA on mac and windows too. I myself prefer to
buy dedicated hardware. Anyways, If your goal is world domination via
a killer app like AL - then start a bounty on its features to make it
happen because its one of those areas where linux is following rather
than leading. I think the popularity of Reaper on Linux is also
evidence of that.

Sorry for my rant, I'm sure I'm in the minority. Just my 2 cents.
- R