[LAU] Sound newbie question re: PCM volume control ??

From: William Case <billlinux@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 17:50:00 EEST

Hi;

I have been lurking on this list for a month or so hoping to learn
something about sound drivers, alsa, etc.

But I do have a question that is mystifying me.

Why is there a volume control for PCM?

Isn't PCM an on/off thing? Either you need to sample a stream or you
don't? Shouldn't alsa code just use PCM as needed without user
intervention? Is there real instances where users need easy access to
PCM settings?

All my playback devices have their own volume control; usually two or
three controls i.e. software volume control in alsamixer, an application
volume control and often a physical control on the hardware. Computer
generated sound is complex enough without throwing in unexpected extra
volume controls.

A secondary question for experienced sound users:

How, or in what order or priority, do you usually the adjust volume
levels of alsa, application and physical (knob or button on speakers
etc.) controls? So far I just have been twiddleing a little of this or
more of that with no real rationale.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3