Re: [LAU] midi triggering delay

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 19:27:56 EEST

andy baxter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get my usb midi keyboard (an edirol PCR 800) working with
> my good laptop (a 1400 MHz core 2 thinkpad X61s). I have jackd running
> with 8 msec latency and no xruns using an onboard intel HDA sound card.
> When I hook up qsynth (fluidsynth) to the keyboard's alsa midi output,
> the notes are triggered with a slight (<0.1s?), and variable time delay.
> Sometimes the note plays immediately on pressing the key; sometimes
> there is a noticeable delay. This does not happen when I use the same
> setup on my old laptop (a 1400 Mhz single core dell).

I've tried kernel 2.6.24.7-rt27, and this is no better with the midi
timing than any of the others (but has a problem with my intel HDA /
Analog devices onboard sound card). Thinking of trying just copying the
kernel and modules from my old laptop (which is running ubuntu hardy I
think) to see if that cures it.

andy