Re: [LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 08:10:16 EEST

> A little OT, but when you talk about VST (hardware) hosts (see other
> thread), you got a lot of replies and also comments that we don't need
> VST cause we have enough plugins...

It's probably healthy for linux audio to have some people thinking that way :)

> But you don't get many response, when you actually have a idea to
> improve the plugin situation in a GPL manner...

Devs usually code for fun, aren't paid, have limited time and a
project already running. IIRC the hammond thread led to connie and the
bagpipe thread recieved at least a fiew responses. No revolution but
something.

> Maybe people think the plugin situation on Linux doesn't have to be
> improved, but I can't believe (sorry about that) a zynaddsubfx (which
> acts pretty unstable with jack and have clicks and pops) and plugins
> like hexter can satisfy the needs of, let's call them professionals.

Apart from plugins there is Jack. Maybe the people not bothering about
the plugin situation are happy using Jack apps and value the
flexibility of e.g. pd or ams more than fancy instrument plugins. A
matter of ambitions and taste.

There are no big commercial players in the world of linux audio, so
there are no entities equipped with the interest and resources to
serve professionals with complete solutions. (Well, for plain
multitrack recording there is 64studio/Ardour, I'd call it rather
feature-complete.)

Linux appears to be good at well designed (thus in this respect
professional-friendly) infrastructures to build upon, and less good at
serving end users in the first place.
LV2 is not yet mature so it will take some time and/or donations until...