Re: [LAU] jconv settings

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 09:04:14 EEST

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 16:04 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Brett McCoy wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> >
> >> 1. To create a 'natural' sound, i.e. one that includes
> >> the acoustics of a real space, or something that could
> >> be a real space. In most cases, if the 'real space' is
> >> not something special such as a church, the listener
> >> would not really be aware of the reverb and certainly
> >> not hear it as an effect. It would just add realism,
> >> provide a idea of the dimensions of the space, and
> >> create depth - some instruments being closer than others.
> >> This is what you would do for classical music and in
> >> general for anything called 'acoustic'. In that case,
> >> if you start with dry recordings, you would add reverb
> >> on *all* instruments and voices, but not the same amount
> >> on all.
> >
> > I tried out jconv last night, on some recordings of my wife playing
> > flute, using the aux send method (since I hadf multiple tracks). It
> > sounded *awesome*, very lush and added some real depth to the
> > recordings. It's exactly what I need for choral and orchestral music.
>
> yeah, jconv is the best-sounding convolver in the world.
> the clarity of its fft, the warmth of the multiplications, and the
> effortless fulminance of the inverse fft add a lustre to strings and
> percussions, and the tightness of the fundamentals is in a league of its
> own. ever since i had my cpu socket gold-plated, i've been able to
> appreciate it in full.

I agree that gold platting cpu sockets is a good start (but don't forget
the memory sockets unless you get your algorithm to fit completely in
the cpu cache). On the other hand you _have_ to use water cooling or
some other sort of fanless cooling for the cpu. Otherwise the gold
platting will not do much good IMNSHO. Cpu cooling fans, no matter how
good, are known to actually shake the bits in the top cpu cores too
much. A lot of vibration. And shaken bits don't convolve very well (in
extreme cases they can spill from one fft bin to the next!). Fact.

-- Fernando