Re: [LAU] some live tracks - need some advice

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 14:34:48 EEST

Garry Ogle wrote:
> Great tracks, Dave, love your vocals.

Thanks, G, I'm glad you like 'em. :)

Honestly, I could be a happy camper just singing blues all night long.

> I don't agree with Robert WRT cutting lows though: that's where all the
> oomph lives. Its the bright edge on the bass that's the "problem".
> I tried running the tracks through a parametric eq, ( I used LinuxDsp's
> para eq2 ) trying to nail that edge, but didn't have much success. YMMV.
> You might try cutting a narrow band somewhere between 1 and 2 khz.

I'll try it, thanks. I was surprised to hear the bass sound on the
recording, particularly because I use a rather "round" sound on stage. I
like definition in the bass but I typically avoid a too-crisp bass tone.
IOW, the bass sounds completely different on the recording than it did
on stage. Grrrr....

> ... The fact of the matter is that you are only going to achieve very
> limited results tweaking a stereo mix to fix individual instruments.
> I wouldn't be surprised if you decided that you could live with it as
> is. Judging by the other comments that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm not going to try to salvage anything from the recordings, they're
good enough as representative tracks. But I do want to try to get a
little more balance in the parts, hence my original query. Happily I've
got a few ideas from you sharp fellows here. :)

> It might be worth investing in a modest multi-track recorder if you're
> doing a lot of CDs ?

My drummer has brought in a Zoom recorder a few times but I don't think
he knows how to use it [Insert obligatory drummer jokes here]. I've
never heard what he recorded, he just said that it didn't turn out well.
I think my guitarist has an 8-track Roland HDR, he definitely does not
know how to use it, so perhaps I'll figure out that unit.

> If I may presume - for this style of music I would have the tone control
> on the bass turned nearly all the way down. The sound guy can't turn up
> what isn't there?

I usually do keep a rather full tone on the instrument when we play out.
As I said, I was quite surprised to hear both the presence and the tone
quality of the bass. It's not distasteful, it just seems too out-front
for my listening ears.

Thanks again for your advice and comments, G, it's all much appreciated.

Best,

dp