Re: [LAU] some live tracks - need some advice

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 18:17:10 EEST

Eric Steinberg wrote:
> I find it a little ironic that you're covering Jack Bruce (et al) and
> you think your bass is too out front....this is a great performance.
> Don't change a thing! As a fellow bassologist, I really like hearing
> you dig in. Are you a finger player or a picker? You really oughta
> get the other fellows to do that harmony at the end....

Hi Eric,

Honestly, I must be the world's most accidental bass player. I goofed
around with it a little when I was in my teens, but guitar was and has
been my focus instrument. When I lived in LA I got a call from a friend
whose bassist had to cancel at the last minute, so I borrowed a bass and
faked my way through the night. My friend was happy enough with me to
keep me gigging on the instrument for about a year, but I've always
considered myself just a workman on it. When I came back to Ohio I found
more work as a bassist than as a guitarist, so I just carried on with it.

I'm a finger-picker and a flat-picker on guitar and bass. I use a pick
on Outside Woman Blues and on Woke Up This Morning, fingers on I Don't
Know Your Name. My right-hand technique is straight from classical
guitar, i.e. thumb and three fingers.

Btw, I liked Jack Bruce back in the day, but I admired John Entwhistle's
technique. :)

Thanks for checking us out, Eric, I appreciate it.

Best,

dp