Re: [LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 04 2009 - 12:39:09 EEST

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:50:48 +0200
fred <f.rech@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> rosea grammostola a écrit :Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
> @ Atte, Any results from your research yet?
>
> supercollider seems like a no go
>
> pd has some possibilitites, the easiest would be to make the
> http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/ work on linux. I mailed the
> author, but didn't get a reply back just yet.
>
> csound has csoundvst, which should work, just have to figure out
> where I can download it (there seems to be no official releases, or
> something)...
>
> So csound seems closest...
>

> A little OT, but when you talk about VST (hardware) hosts (see
> other thread), you got a lot of replies and also comments that we
> don't need VST cause we have enough plugins...

The issue is VST which is controlled by Steinberg and will always be at
least legal trouble.
Look at the VST situation:
There are windows VSTs, they always require wine and in addition to
that the Steinberg VST SDK, which is not redistributable or vestige.
There are linux VSTs, which always require the non-redistributable
Steinberg VST SDK.
Wine and audio itself is a PITA, having to rely on something that can
only be obtained from a company like Steinberg is not only annoying,
because ever user has to obtain the VST SDK from them, but also
dangerous, because they control it.

> But you don't get many response, when you actually have a idea to
> improve the plugin situation in a GPL manner...
>
> Maybe people think the plugin situation on Linux doesn't have to be
> improved, but I can't believe (sorry about that) a zynaddsubfx (which
> acts pretty unstable with jack and have clicks and pops) and plugins
> like hexter can satisfy the needs of, let's call them professionals.

Nobody will have anything against the improvement of the situation,
but VST just isn't the way to go, mainly for above mentioned reasons.

There are arguments about whether lv2 is, but I see indication that it
can be, have a look at the invada plugins
(http://www.invadarecords.com/Downloads.php?ID=00000264) . They
were windows VST, then got ported to ladspa and then to LV2. The LV2
version even sports graphical GUIs.

> A little delayed, but like to know :
>
> What Linux applis are you using to have sound for "replace" :
> -piano
> -electric piano
> -trompet
> -sax
> -trombone
> -drums
> -violin
> -etc ?
>
> Personnaly, don't use VST, but orchestration is really reduced in
> terms of instruments, let say it's a good opportunity to improve my
> guitar and bass play !
>
> Thanks for answers,
> Fred

The most professional orchestration people I know use linuxsampler,
have a look at openoctave.org.

Regards,
Philipp