Re: [LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 00:35:02 EEST

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:36:55 +0200
Carlos Sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi dear folks.
>
> I would like to do some kind of a survey to know about configs,
> setups, controllers, etc that you have come to over the years and
> based on your own experience. (Well, I already know some of yours for
> your mails on the list)
>
> It's usual to see piano keyboards and controller boards, i.e.
> Behringer BCF/BCR2000 or FCB1010.
>
> But more than this kind of consumer products, which I know many of
> them, I'm rather interested in something like (inexpensive and)
> strange MIDI controllers, pedal boards, Arduinos, DIY HW... that
> allow controlling and have interaction with applications, whether
> it's Ardour, Rosegarden, Freewheeling, Sooperlooper, Pd,
> Supercolider, Mixxx ...
>
> Why this? I've been willing for a long time now to buy an audio
> interface with MIDI and maybe some controller, but at the moment I'm
> still stuck with just my keyboard and mouse; it's ok with DAWs but an
> inconvenient when using live loopers (most of all when playing
> guitar, and without a MIDI interface).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I'm very interested in this topic too - I think that the signal
processing power of modern pcs is totally useless (for live playing)
if you don't have an effective/intuitive way of controlling it. At the
moment I'm working on two routes:
1)Supercollider - it can get inputs from any HID (btw I've
heard also Pd does) and easily , and totally customably, convert it to
midi. I've used rig kontrol 2 from native instruments (pedal board
without builtin usb-midi), a bluetooth mouse and a joystick to generate
midi notes and controls... I've controlled with these rakarrack,
jack-rack and freewheeling. It's a good start, but right now I'm
looking at processing sound directly in Supercollider to have the
controls more integrated in the effects (and to have overall more
control on effects)
2) Arduino with the the ttymidi library, which is an arduino library +
alsa midi app which, very easily, gives you the possibility to create
midi from within the arduino code, then you simply route ttymidi's out
to any midi in you desire (in qjackctl for example). Have to say that
at the moment I'm having some trouble with this library, though I count
on getting it working (it was a few months ago).

For the moment I've experimented much more on 1 than on 2, but I'm
planning on building some kinds of controls directly on my guitar and
I might use Arduino for that (or I could hack a bluetooth
keyboard if I find one cheap)

In this setup I actually don't need a sound card with MIDI (though I
have one) - HIDs and Arduino are USB. I know it's possible to make
Arduino send Midi on standard Midi plugs/cables, but why bother when
there's ttymidi.

Renato