Re: [LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

From: Carlos Sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 19:42:58 EEST

Hi Michal,

2009/10/12 Michal Seta <mis@email-addr-hidden>

> Hey,
>
> Here's my take at adapting a USB joystick (purchased second hand, $20
> for a pair) as a "controller" for my guitar. I actually performed
> with that thing. The thumb sticks were replaced by photocells so that
> by waving my hand in front (and changing the intensity of light
> reaching the components) I could control some continuous parameters.
> The buttons of the pad were mapped to various things, depending on the
> "preset".
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yzgrzvp
>
> It was all hooked up to pd in which most of the audio processing took
> place except for some presents where the buttons controlled a
> sooperlooper instance via OSC.

What a guitar-attached-controller! ;) It might be good for controlling fx,
but maybe a little tricky to start recording a loop at the time you play
with your right hand.
Anyway, really nice. Do you have the project available.

I have now decided to give up the USB joystick on that instrument and
> try to figure something out with the wiimote which is a lot of fun to
> play with. The other usual contender is an iPod Touch/iPhone even if
> mostly used in connection with OSC.
>
> Have fun digging, there are a lot of fun projects around.

Talking about wiimote and MIDI, keep track of a project I'm involved that I
mentioned some time ago, wiimidi:
http://github.com/fontanon/wiimidi

It's in its first steps, but I hope at the end it would be really easy and
useful for every kind of user.

Thanks.

> ./MiS
>
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Carlos Sanchiavedraz
> <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Hi dear folks.
> >
> > I would like to do some kind of a survey to know about configs, setups,
> > controllers, etc that you have come to over the years and based on your
> own
> > experience. (Well, I already know some of yours for your mails on the
> list)
> >
> > It's usual to see piano keyboards and controller boards, i.e. Behringer
> > BCF/BCR2000 or FCB1010.
> >
> > But more than this kind of consumer products, which I know many of them,
> I'm
> > rather interested in something like (inexpensive and) strange MIDI
> > controllers, pedal boards, Arduinos, DIY HW... that allow controlling and
> > have interaction with applications, whether it's Ardour, Rosegarden,
> > Freewheeling, Sooperlooper, Pd, Supercolider, Mixxx ...
> >
> > Why this? I've been willing for a long time now to buy an audio interface
> > with MIDI and maybe some controller, but at the moment I'm still stuck
> with
> > just my keyboard and mouse; it's ok with DAWs but an inconvenient when
> using
> > live loopers (most of all when playing guitar, and without a MIDI
> > interface).
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Carlos "sanchiavedraz"