Re: [LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 22:46:29 EEST

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Carlos Sanchiavedraz
<csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> 2009/10/12 David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
>>
>> For theremin sensors have a look at:
>> http://asmir.theremin.ru/
>> The sensors Andrey Smirnov uses in his workshops can either
>> be connected via a microcontroller like Arduino, or their analog
>> frequency output can be fed into a soundcard and converted to
>> control data by pd.
>>
>> have fun,
>>

> I love Theremins!
>
> It's just that, after having a look at the projects, it seems to be very
> difficult to implement any of them, most of all if it includes sensors,
> although there are some Pd libraries (for Mac most of them).
> I'm going to watch some videos.
>
> Thanks David.

In any case, whether using pd+soundcard or a microcontroller, you
need a sensor. During his workshops Andrey Asimov sells them, it
doesn't seem as if he sells them through the website though. Maybe
just contact him via email, he is a very nice guy.

The Pd libraries are, just as Pd, platform independent. The MAX/MSP
stuff is Mac only.

Theremin sensors are quite sensitive to distubance (e.g. ground loops)
so it can be a little fiddly to set everything up. I recomment one of
the workshops (if there is one in the area...), though given some
interest and patience it should be feasible without.

best,