[LAU] LinuxSampler: success

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 03:13:13 EEST

Looking pretty good. I imagine there is a much better way, but I don't
know what it is. It turns out that JSampler did create an
instruments.db automatically -- but it did not "format" it. After I
formatted it, using (JSampler only, not Q) Window/Instruments Database,
then Actions/Format Database, both J and Q began working perfectly.

So my current steps to get QSampler running reliably in AVLinux, after
installing all of the current LinuxSampler .deb's, are:

1. Get rid of all Java except Sun's, using Synaptic.

2. Create folder /opt/java.

3. ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun ./latest

4. In /etc/profile, just before the line "export PATH", add:

PATH=/opt/java/latest/bin:$PATH
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/latest
export CLASSPATH=/opt/java/latest/lib/tools.jar:./

5. Create the /var/lib/linuxsampler directory and set its permissions:

mkdir /var/lib/linuxsampler
chgrp audio /var/lib/linuxsampler
chmod g=rwx /var/lib/linuxsampler

6. Download the .jar (binary) form of JSampler Fantasia, move it to
filename /usr/local/bin/JSampler-Fantasia-0.8a-jar, and run it:

java -jar /usr/local/bin/JSampler-Fantasia-0.8a-jar

7. Format the database, using the JSampler UI,

Main window: Window/Instruments Database
Instruments database window: Actions/Format Database

And then it works :-)

J.E.B.