Re: [LAU] RME HDSP 9632 - amixer control

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 18:00:02 EEST

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Klaus Schulz <kls.schlz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The mute/unmute of playback outputs seem to play fundamental role in the
> routing process. Perhaps something in this area goes wrong. Again: Is there
> a way to explicitely control  channel
> volume with amixer?

the question is ill-formed.

i'm not sure that you are clear yet that the hdsp has a matrix mixer.
any software output channel can be sent *simultaneously* to any
hardware output channel, and hardware input channel can be sent
*simultaneously* to any hardware output channel. it is therefore
meaningless to talk about "controlling channel volume" because such a
concept does not exist in any direct way in such a mixer. there are
approximately 15,000 gain controls in the hdsp matrix mixer: which one
are you talking about?

the closest you can get to it is to say that a given s/w output or h/w
input channel (number I) is routed to a single h/w output channel
(number O) with some gain level G, and that the gain level for all
other routings of I are set to zero. Varying G would then have roughly
the effect of "varying the channel volume", although in the h/w its
just another gain control for the level of I sent to O.