Re: [LAU] introducing l2ork

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 25 2009 - 03:30:03 EET

I agree that parts of the site are incomplete, mainly because the site is
still growing (just as we are through our maiden L2Ork voyage that began
this fall), so some confusion is naturally warranted. That said, Alex has
described it very well.

L2Ork basically is a laptop orchestra that uses Linux rather than Mac
platform (as is the case with PLOrk and SLOrk), and as such is as far as I
know World's first laptop orchestra using Linux.

Since we are still in early stages of development, a lot of things are up in
the air. As of right now what I can divulge about the project is following:

HARDWARE:
Apart from homebrew speakers, we are using MSI Wind netbooks, wiimotes and
nunchuk as main sources of input (in addition to obviously keyboard and
mousepad), UA-1G soundcards (basically rebranded UA-1EXs under
Cakewalk-Edirol brand).

The speakers have built-in preamps and allow easy exchange of discrete
6-channel and mono setup using two different types of cables (one is 6-pin
XLR to 6 mono TSs, the other is 6-ping XLR to RCA). We currently do not use
balanced audio feeds as each system is self-enclosed and requires minimal
cable lengths. As a result, we've encountered no ground loop issues and/or
similar major degradations in audio fidelity. Speakers have theoretical
range of 50Hz-30KHz. That said, 50Hz sounds rather weak so we also
supplement our setup with subs. Theoretical peak amp power of the three
embedded amps is 15 Watts per channel, while each speaker cone peak amp
power is 25 Watts. We've retrofitted amps to improve sound fidelity (based
on online docs for the Dayton DTA-1 class amps). For more info on this one
please see online videos. Regarding the actual loudness, suffice to say to
run these at maximum possible strength without distortion for prolonged
periods of time will undoubtedly result in hearing loss.

SOFTWARE:
We use modified version of Ubuntu 9.04. Rather than issuing tons of various
scripts/patches, we maintain an in-house disk image of the entire HD. This
thing should be available soon for download for those who wish to burn their
bandwidth :-). This is mainly because we don't have enough man hours to
actually build user-friendly patch system for the amounts of updates we
issue on a weekly basis. At some point we may opt for a better way of
packaging these.

Main audio platform for the time being is a modified version of Pd. Some of
the changes to Pd have been already shared with the Pd community, others
will become available once we work out the kinks.

ART:
Currently, most of our efforts revolve around harnessing the power of hand
gestures through wiimotes and nunchuk, in conjunction with keyboard and
mousepad. Likewise, we are actively exploring ways of interconnecting the
ensemble (e.g. imagine one performer generating a note and by doing so also
altering someone else's instrument properties, etc.) through as set of
custom-built monitoring tools (using Pd). I understand that this does not
tell you a lot about art and this is mainly because we are still in the
process of learning and discovering... I'll gladly share more as we reach
new milestones.

MISCELLANEA
We will try to post more video footage as we find time to do so. Right now
our priority is on the development/production/performance. That said, I am
hoping to post more in the coming weeks. As of right now, footage mainly
focuses on the toughest piece of the puzzle--the speakers. Down the road, we
will provide more details on other, more straightforward aspects as well.

So much for now. Thanks all for your replies. These are all very good
comments that will help us greatly improve the site content, particularly
FAQ section.

Best wishes,

Ico