Re: [LAU] a strange little song..

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2009 - 22:06:35 EET

Q wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
> Hi.
>>> I'm late to the party (as usual).
>>> This is quite a fun quirky little song. To me, the relatively minor
>>> defects enhance rather than detract from it. I wonder what reaction
>>> you'd get from a real audience. Have you tried it?
>>>
>> Thanks for your lovely comments!
>>
>> Yes I have played it live with the band.. generally the reaction is of
>> bemusement, and a half-hearted trickle of applause.. I was trying to
>> work out why (apart from the fact it ends in a strange way), as most
>> of our other songs seem to go down much better.
>>
>> This little recording experiment has showed me that it needs to be
>> played quite a lot slower than we were doing it, and secondly, that
>> the rhythm guitar must be very simple to avoid conflicting with the
>> other rhythmic aspects of the song.. Not got round to re-recording it
>> though (or playing it with the band again).
>>
>> James
>
> Oops, sent this just to James and not to the list by mistake...
>
> I've only just got around to listening to this as well. I also enjoyed
> it -- it's got promise and I'd say it's worth pursuing. I find it odd
> that it doesn't garner a good reaction live, it must just be one of
> those matters of taste: you do say it never works well, perhaps when the
> whole band "get it", and you can do it with conviction, the audience
> reaction may be better.

Thanks Q!

We did a much better version at rehearsal last night. It was recorded,
but I haven't heard it yet. If it is suitable for general audience, I
will post it to get some more feedback about further improvements.

> I actually quite like it at the pace it is at, but as you say, it'll
> need to be tight. I'm sure it'd work well a few clicks slower though. I
> like the lyrics as well, I think quirky is probably an apt word to use.

Yes :)

> A thought that occurred to me regarding developing it: how about
> alternating verses male/female (or vice versa) and repeat the chorus one
> last time in harmony -- it might give a bit of a twist to the lyrical
> tale. You could use a different melody line for the male verses, one
> that better fits your range and which harmonises with the existing vocal
> melody. Just a thought.

I like that idea. Will have to see how it works out at next rehearsal!

James