Re: [LAU] a strange little song..

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 25 2009 - 00:10:15 EEST

James Stone wrote:
  Hi.
>> I'm late to the party (as usual).
>> This is quite a fun quirky little song. To me, the relatively minor
>> defects enhance rather than detract from it. I wonder what reaction
>> you'd get from a real audience. Have you tried it?
>>

> Thanks for your lovely comments!
>
> Yes I have played it live with the band.. generally the reaction is of
> bemusement, and a half-hearted trickle of applause.. I was trying to
> work out why (apart from the fact it ends in a strange way), as most
> of our other songs seem to go down much better.
>
> This little recording experiment has showed me that it needs to be
> played quite a lot slower than we were doing it, and secondly, that
> the rhythm guitar must be very simple to avoid conflicting with the
> other rhythmic aspects of the song.. Not got round to re-recording it
> though (or playing it with the band again).
>
> James

Oops, sent this just to James and not to the list by mistake...

I've only just got around to listening to this as well. I also enjoyed
it -- it's got promise and I'd say it's worth pursuing. I find it odd
that it doesn't garner a good reaction live, it must just be one of
those matters of taste: you do say it never works well, perhaps when the
whole band "get it", and you can do it with conviction, the audience
reaction may be better.

I actually quite like it at the pace it is at, but as you say, it'll
need to be tight. I'm sure it'd work well a few clicks slower though. I
like the lyrics as well, I think quirky is probably an apt word to use.

A thought that occurred to me regarding developing it: how about
alternating verses male/female (or vice versa) and repeat the chorus one
last time in harmony -- it might give a bit of a twist to the lyrical
tale. You could use a different melody line for the male verses, one
that better fits your range and which harmonises with the existing vocal
melody. Just a thought.