Re: [LAU] ALSA to pulseaudio

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 04:29:10 EET

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Well, it is clear that I have to do something different than pure
> Jack/ALSA.  I'll try Pulse, although Pulse's reputation for low latency
> isn't exactly stellar.

the ALSA jack plugin has poor latency too. anything that has to
intermediate between a "push" model API (where the app gets to decide
when and how much data to read/write) and a "pull" mode (where
something other than the app makes those decisions) has to have enough
buffering to deal with the app's intentional and unintentional
behaviour. it probably isn't as latency inducing as pulse's default,
but its not a replacement for using JACK directly.

> What should my asound.conf (.asoundrc) look like, to
> route all ALSA apps' output through Pulse?

if you distro didn't set this up and you want it to work, i suggest
you switch distros to one that does. you may get advice from this or
other lists about how to do this, but configuring PulseAudio to be the
default audio I/O system is a challenge most for distro packagers, not
users. if you then add in the fact that you actually want pulse to
talk to JACK ... now you're out of even distro packaging territory.

what you are trying to do is just not recommended practice. JACK
targets pro-audio/music creation workflows. it is not intended to be a
desktop sound server.