Re: [LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 23:56:46 EET

Folderol wrote:

> Al though the music I'm most comfortable with is fairly 'mainstream' I
> did in fact very much enjoy this. There were a lot of (to me)
> unexpected changes but that didn't jar as I've found it does with some
> compositions. Very much liked the changes in sound texture and the
> dynamics.

Thanks for listening, especially as it's a bit outside your comfort
zone: that means a lot then that you enjoyed it so much -- I'm glad.

"Unexpected changes" is good and not jarring is even better :-)

I have worried a bit about the transitions, I often see reviews
criticising particular "epic" prog tracks because the band has strung
together a load of segments that don't really go that well together,
with no cohesion or sense of... well, progression I suppose!

I guess there's a fine line between keeping things surprising yet
coherent and them being shocking and not really working because several
disparate ideas have been forced together at gunpoint. I suppose jarring
is good if that's the intention -- I was aiming for unexpected but
unjarring and it seems like I succeeded.

Thanks again.

Best wishes