Re: [LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 30 2009 - 05:03:41 EET

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Q <lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Cool and groovy. Thanks.
>>
>> Don't know why but listening to this took me pretty quickly to a song
>> called "In the Centre of an Empty Space" by Carptree on their "Man
>> Made Machine" CD. It's a VERY different song from yours but I suspect
>> that if you don't know them then you might like the band a bit. Listen
>> if you can find a copy somewhere. There are probably some production
>> ideas in there you might like.
>>
>> Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> Hi Mark
>
> I was hoping you might reply (we communicated once off-list several years
> ago, back in my more Pink Floyd-influenced, early phase! Not written much
> since then, but I think I've learnt a fair bit).
>
> Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
>
> Carptree is a name I've come across, but beyond that I know nothing about
> them, except they're Swedish. There are two tracks of theirs to stream on
> ProgArchives.com, plus several on their official website -- thanks for the
> recommendation, I'll check them out.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers

Yes, we've both been around here a while. You are clearly doing good
stuff. I am, unfortunately, mostly getting old, very old... :-)

Listening to the new Glass Hammer CD "Three Cheers for the
Broken-Hearted" tonight as it just arrived in the mail today. More
upbeat and slightly less prog-ish than their last couple of CDs, but
very nice. Seems a lot of the vocals are *very* processed. Don't know
what I think of that yet.

Anyone wanting to delve into mastering could have fun listening to
this one as it was mastered by Bob Katz himself apparently. He is a
very talented guy. It's very cool how you can listen to the song and
it sounds good, but if you decide mentally to focus on the bass or
drums or keys they are all there standing out.

This is a band I wish more people knew about and supported. I buy my
GH CDs directly from them online. If someone was looking to buy one
consider "Culture of Ascent".

I hope you keep up the good work.

cheers,
Mark