Re: [LAU] Prog rock instrumental, sort-of WIP

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 31 2009 - 05:16:32 EET

Le Vendredi, 30 Oct 2009 17:33:41 -0700,
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM, lanas <lanas@securenet.net> wrote:
> > Le Vendredi, 30 Oct 2009 12:31:34 +0000,
> > Q <lists@quirq.ukfsn.org> a écrit :

> >> I have the two Saga albums on one CD,

> I've got a new Saga CD called "The Human Condition" released on
> InsideOut in May 2009.

What Q meant is not that. He meant that he has the two 'Saga' albums
by Isildurs Bane on one CD. These two albums being originaly "Sagan om
den Irländska älgen"and "Sagan om ringen". That's not the band Saga :-)

Saga was OK, at some point in time.

Isildurs Bane (not very good video quality, seems to be filmed from a
TV playing the DVD) :

Cage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7lPb8Y-hw

> Anyone listening to Sylvan, The Tangent or most especially IQ these
> days?

No. But my favorite band has to be After Crying (from Hungary). This
band is incredible. And not in the crazy peformance genre, but in
simply the music they make, the compositions and the arrangements.
Start with "Show", their latest (of a few years ago). They have a
series of concerts in 2009, hopefully they'll release some new
material. A bit hard to get, though. Check these from youtube, both
from 'Show'.

This one is all up front and is the opener of the CD. Lyrics are in
English on the CD.

New World Coming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyyKq5M_vww

This one is all in nuances and atmospheres. One can recognize the
King Crimson bit in there. And the nice arrangement of Ravel's Bolero.

Secret Service
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhR27ciPsk

> Since you guys brought up Flower Kings earlier how about Agents of
> Mercy and/or Karmakanic?

No (once again ;-) But ... I'm totally stuck on Roine Stolt's 'Wall
Street Voodoo'. Great double CD. Not prog, just rock with good riffs
and guitar solos at the right place and right pace. Can't tire from
that one.

Outcast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWNxpOOvTT

While at it here's one by the Japanese band Arsnova. That should be
more typical to prog in the typical sense. Three Japanese gals, two
keyboards + drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgNfjzDfg2U

So much on youtube.

Cheers.