Re: [LAU] DVDs and Ubuntu 9.10

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 03:28:02 EET

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Funny!!! I've never had success with xine in the past ... so didn't
> bother with it :)
>
> But, I just tried it and guess what ... seems to be working just fine.

good news.

> I ran from a terminal and do get a lot of messages like this:
>
> *** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in nav_read.c:356 ***
> *** for dsi->dsi_gi.zero1 == 0 ***
>
> Does that mean anything?

Probably something about the way the DVD is authored and unlikely in
my experience to cause big problems although you might not know until
you watch the DVD all the way through.

> I've checked the log files and haven't found anything there. But, if
> xine works that's great. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome. Note that I've recently dumped Gnome for XFCE and
never used KDE as on Gentoo I wasn't willing to take the time to build
and maintain it. Depending on what version of Gnome the Ubuntu guys
packaged could cause some of these sorts of problems.

Have fun,
Mark