Re: [LAU] DVDs and Ubuntu 9.10

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 18:54:37 EET

2009/11/2 Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>

> > The only suggestion I can come up with is in the past with 'weird'
> > problems of playback to check what dvd device is being pointed to in
> > the settings. i.e. /dev/dvd.
>
> As I mentioned earlier ... using xine it all seems to work.
>
> Interesting about the device names. Like Ray said, /dev/dvd (etc) are
> all links. In my case (and I suspect yours) they point to /dev/sr0,
> /dev/sr1, etc.
>
> Now that brings up the question: what are these devices? used to be
> that my cdroms were /dev/hdX.
>

> > Note I have kubuntu 9.10 installed on a separate partition and am using
> > ubuntu 9.04 here. This works fine but I have issues with nvidia and
>
> My nvidia is working just fine. Did you try with different versions? I
> think that my restricted hardware installer shows about 3 different
> versions. I'm using the latest 185.18.36.
>
> --
> **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden
> WWW: http://www.mellowood.ca

Ahh, sr* naming is using pata library, which deprecated the ide library
somewhere around 2.6.18.

Could you do something? Try to rip the error-inducing DVD, using something
like k9copy or acetoneiso2. Don't need to encode it to AVI, if the app gives
you an option, just rip it to normal mpeg.

Personally this happens with a lot of home-made and in-house (ie. not
commercial) DVDs, where I see that error, and the ripping stops abruptly.
They can be ripped fine in other operating systems.