Re: [LAU] What kind of sample(er)s etc for classical music

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 16:29:13 EET

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Lorenzo <lsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Just out of curiosity: I see in your specific case you have the dusting
> windows machines, but in general using windows machines as 'hardware' is
> really cheaper (giving for granted that you are paying all the software
> licenses and the cost of the PCs) than buying, say, a hardware sampler?

<SNIP>

Not if you have to buy the hardware, but if the hardware is sitting
there gathering dust and there's a piece of software I want to run
then certainly it's cheaper and more flexible than buying a hardware
sampler. Kontakt is about $400 at most retailers. I don't know of any
external hardware samplers that have the flexibility of Kontakt and
would be in that price range. Please consider that I've already
purchased GigaStudio so today I have $0 cost at.

The other thing to consider is the per machine load of trying to run
something like Ardour and then piling lots of soft synths and samplers
on the same CPU. This sort of setup *must* hit the limits of the
machine faster showing up in things like xruns, or worse, and the last
thing I want when doing a recording, or even just mixing, is any
chance of a hiccup...

None the less, things like Wine and the energy of young folks like you
can result in great things I'm sure. For old guys like me not so
much... ;-)

- Mark