Re: [LAU] plugin for RIAA eq?

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 23:10:56 EET

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 02:58:16PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:

> I'm looking to record some albums into Ardour. I have a hardware
> phono preamp that does the secret-squirrel RIAA eq stuff, but it's
> very flaky. Is there a simple insert-it-and-forget-it eq for record
> players?

The only real solution is a hardware preamp. You can apply
the RIAA filter in software, but unless you start with a
*very* clean digital signal it's not a good idea to do so.

Neither a mic input, a line input or a high-Z instrument input
has the right combination of impedance and sensitivity for a
phono cartridge. Not using the right impedance will mean the
EQ will be wrong.

I do have an RIAA ladpsa plugin, let me known if you want it.
*If* you want to try without a real phono preamp the only
input type that *could* work is a high-Z instrument input,
with a 47k resistor in parallel. But the noise level could
be below par.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.