Re: [LAU] plugin for RIAA eq?

From: Chris Edwards <cme@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 15:28:50 EET

fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 02:58:16PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
>

>> I'm looking to record some albums into Ardour. I have a hardware
>> phono preamp that does the secret-squirrel RIAA eq stuff, but it's
>> very flaky. Is there a simple insert-it-and-forget-it eq for record
>> players?
>>

> The only real solution is a hardware preamp. You can apply
> the RIAA filter in software, but unless you start with a
> *very* clean digital signal it's not a good idea to do so.

Josh, if you decide to go the hardware route as Fons suggests, and
you're not afraid of a soldering iron, ESP Sound have what by all
accounts is an excellent phono preamp for moving-magnet pickups.

Circuit description:
http://sound.westhost.com/project06.htm

PCB purchases:
http://www.sound.westhost.com/purchase.htm