[LAU] Strange aiff files

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 09:48:56 EET

Hi

I'm having trouble opening a few aiff files, that were send to me by
someone. They were originally part of a recording session in (I think)
protools on a mac. Probably they were saved to CDR and handed over to
the windows user that has mailed them to me. They are longish bounces of
vocal takes.

Anyways, the problem is that they open different each time. Sometimes
the first part is missing, sometimes the last part. I tried opening them
in both mhwaveedit and Renoise. The sender checked and the files have
exactly the correct content on her computer.

What could be the problem here? Is it in fact something else that I
didn't think of that is at play?

I don't know about renoise, but isn't it so that almost every audio app
is using libsndfile for opening/converting-from aiff files? So I should
expect similar results in all apps, or?

Is there a way to check the problematic files to get closer to the
problem? Is there a conversion I should try (tried my a2wav script that
uses mplayer, still some parts missing).

NB: This is with a super-fresh install of ubuntu 9.10

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte