Re: [LAU] New Music: My Foolish Heart

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 07:27:23 EET

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Is that your Roland piano?  I'd love to hear it with the Steinway Old Lady Gigasample.

yes, it is. love that piano!

> Speaking of Bill Evans:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8

omg, thank you for posting that. I love that tune, and that brief
section in A always gets me! I would also be remiss if I didn't point
out Chuck Isreal's playing here...the one and only time I've been to
NYC, my friend took me to the Village Vanguard to hear Barry Harris,
and Chuck stepped in for a few minutes to say hi to Barry. I had no
idea who it was at that moment, but Barry mentioned it over the mic,
and I kicked myself for not getting a chance to meet someone who had
played with Evans.

a lot has been said about Evans' voicings and his touch, but his sense
of time! some of the most complex over-the-bar solos I've ever heard.
 and another thing I love about Evans is his grasp of all of the
styles that came before him. for example, I love his block chord
solos, very Erroll Garner. amazing stuff!

we concentrate so much on this list on the complexities of getting our
systems to do what we need them to do. I love that aspect of the
list, but sometimes it's nice sit back and focus on the playing. I've
noticed an influx in music postings lately, and this makes me happy to
no end.

I sat in with a big band tonight and played like crap, so it really
did my heart good to see this positive note from you, Ken. thank you!

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com