Re: [LAU] Re : zyn/yoshimi on EEE netbook

From: Frank Neumann <beachnase@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 21:18:24 EET

Hi list,
I'd just like to chime in here -

Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

[..]
> first blush, things are looking good but there are xruns all over the
> place, so I installed the linux-rt kernel from the ubuntu repos.
> eventually, yoshimi zombies, so I reboot into my new kernel.
>
> zombies at every patch switch. adjusted the OscilSize just for
> giggles, but it didn't do any good. my only thoughts at this point is
> that this netbook just might be too little power for this application.

I have been trying every 5 or so updates of yoshimi in the last weeks, and for
me it's similar to Josh's experiences:

- On an Asus eeePC Netbook, I can set up things fine and can also play the default
  Sine sound, but normally within a few patch change clicks, yoshimi zombifies.

- On an AMD64 2-core desktop PC, after setting things up the first MIDI event
  received by yoshimi already causes the zombie..so no sound at all here.

Both machines run Ubuntu (on the desktop PC 9.04, on the eeePC 9.10), on both
the standard ZynaddSubFX with ALSA backend works fine, and other JACK applications
like qsampler/LinuxSampler also run just fine.

I am not sure whether the last yoshimi developments did target to improve the
zombification situation, but if they did, things have rather gotten worse than
better for me. If I can assist in tracking the problem down, be my guest.

Greetings,
Frank