Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 14 2009 - 00:15:15 EET

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:37:33 +0100
fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 07:56:13PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
>
> > The effect you can get with a system with poor stability but very strong
> > locking when incoming pulses are half way between the wanted times
> > (used to happen a lot with early discrete PLLs). The system will
> > alternately lock on the early and late pulses. The correction waveform
> > looks like a cog railway :)
>
> - To generate a clock that is good enough for audio sampling you'll
> need a analog PLL based on an Xtal oscillator, and with less than
> 1ns (nanosecond) jitter in the audio BW, and preferably even less.
>
> - All AD converters require a clock that is much higher than
> the sample frequency. For example the TI ADS1278 requires
> 27 or 37 MHz.
>
> - If you want the soundcard to lock to a reference provided by
> the master (PC), all you have is the timing of Ethernet
> messages. For example the PC could send a message every
> millisecond. With the above clock frequencies that would
> mean a PLL multiplier with a ratio of 27000:1, somewhat
> more than the 1:1 you seem to assume. It would need a BW
> of a fraction of a second. Can be done, but not simple.
>
> Ciao,

I fully appreciate what you are saying here. I have been largely
thinking out loud, and also mostly in the digital domain where
timing variations can be far more coarse-grained.

The fact there is software out there that enables collaboration via the
internet demonstrates that it is do-able. We just? need to think out
how it can be done with as simple hardware as possible :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk