Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 13:38:13 EET

fons:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:03:24AM +0100, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > As an unix guy, I'd skip the encoding and send the whole thing as
> > space separaed text, since then you could simply do a telnet to the
> > other host and run it by hand. Compare e.g. to smtp.
> > The performance loss of printf() and scanf() at sending/receiving
> > sides are minimal, and plain text is much easier to debug.
> > But, this is of cause moot, since OSC is already there.
> This 'telnet style' has existed for almost as long unix has,
> and clearly there was a need for something more efficient in
> some types of application.

It might be so, but I think is more a question of how this or that
group of people think. Unix guys thinks "text protocol", others are
prone to think "binary protocol", not because it is a proven
performance issue, but because they are used to it, and they don't
have the big/little endian thing or differing floating point formats
to care about.

> In many cases (if only a limited set of commands is required,
> no wildcards, no timed commands) OSC encoding/decoding can be
> done almost 'zero-copy' and using just a few lines of very
> simple code. The biggest error you can make in such cases, if
> efficienty is an issue, is to use a general purpose 'full'
> implementation such as e.g. liblo.

Ok, I'll try liblo first, if that is to slow, I'll implement it
myself.

Regards,
/Karl