Re: [LAU] OT: online music promition/what do you think of bandcamp?

From: Lorenzo <lsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 09:31:58 EET

>> How about as a "customer", do you like bandcamp, how many are
>> doing the i-leave-when-i-see-a-flash-player-dance?
>>

> I don't know bandcamp, but half the time I don't get the flash-player dancing
> even on a lot of websites... something with flash not being available in the
> latest version for 64bit machines...

But seriously, what is the current realistic alternative to Flash for
embedding audio/video content on web pages?
I've been trying to promote SMIL (http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/) which
I've worked quite a bit but I guess very few had even ever heard of it
on this list.
And of course now there's upcoming HTML 5
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html and demos:
http://htmlfive.appspot.com/) which is already supported on firefox 3.5
and seems promising (yet if no hosting site will support it it'll
probably prove rather unsuccessful).

Bests,
Lorenzo