Re: [LAU] [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 01:05:36 EET

> I'm also somewhat interested in the network part, I feel IPv6 could help
> a lot. It supports autoconfiguration and it has decent multicast
> support, so it would be possible to broadcast/multicast the streams on
> the net (LAN). This could be useful if you want to access the stream at
> a mixing console for a life setup and simultaneously record it on a
> computer.

Put another way, it would be far more compatible if this were done over
an IP stream rather than any native ethernet stream, not least it could use
any ethernet driver that linux supports rather than a small subset of them.

I am sure this will make a lot of the lower layer people turn away from the
project which is unfortunate but there are a lot of issues associated with
attempting to do this over a native ethernet connection: it would need some
consideration to be given to data loss and recovery which are already native
to the higher layers.

Perhaps the project needs to be specified with regards to its goals? If the
idea is just to have Ethernet supported as an interface then fine, native
access is probably fine. If the idea is to have Ethernet supported as a
transport the reusing what is already available makes a lot of sense. To
start with, being able to use any Ethernet card already means it can be
done cheaply. Limiting it to selected devices perhaps not so as it would
require the purchase of specific cards.

Anyway, to paraphrase a joke a friend made recently, he drove to a Linux
Audio Conference where the people there said to him "what are those round
things on the side of your car?". He said at least when we went to the
networking conferences people knowingly said "ah, I know what _they_ are.
They're called wheels..... I've seen those before."

Kind regards, nick