Re: [LAU] USB audio interface support?

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 02:13:17 EET

Thanks Allan,

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 18:57 -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2009-11-26T07:35:43, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > I'm looking at the following interfaces:-
> > a) M-Audio Fast Track Pro
>
> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/how-make-m-audio-transit-worn-ubuntu-243027/
> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/m-audio-transit-ubuntu-7-04-feisty-fawn-241650/

Looks like this is pretty well supported
> > b) Alesis IO|2 Audio/Midi Interface
>
> It is one of the few devices with independent volume control for
> line out and head phone which for me was an important feature.
> There are some nasty pops on power up/down otherwise I have been
> happy with it.

This as well
> > c) Tascam US-144 USB 2.0 Audio and Midi Interface
>
> Tascam is not still not interested in supporting linux, right?

I did find http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~smimram/tascam/ , would that
indicate that its somehow possible? It seems the company itself is
uninterested though, so that would be a big minus
> > d) Edirol UA-4FX USB Audio/MIDI Interface
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Edirol_UA-4FX
>
> I had a UA-25EX at one point and it did not have separate volume
> control for line out and head phones. Switching between 48 kHz
> duplex and 96 kHz half-duplex made 96 kHz requires switching
> modes on the back of the device plus rebooting it. It made 96
> kHz a non-usable feature to me. The device I got was defective a
> well, and it took Roland a week I think to call me back. By then
> I had to returned the my UA-25EX in favor of the Alesis iO|2.
Probably a non-issue for me as I'm fine with 48 kHz duplex the whole
way.

Concerning my 2nd question, would anyone of a more hardware-technical
bent be able to tell me if none/any/all of the above interfaces have
sufficient gain for an SM57 (supposedly 50 dB and above). Its tough to
find such specs for any of the interfaces...