Re: [LAU] composing for video

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 00:31:25 EET

2009/12/1 Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>

> Hi
>
> A friend of mine has invited me to compose for some videos he's planning
> on making. We haven't started yet, but I thought it might be good to be
> a bit ahead, especially since I haven't done this before and I know next
> to nothing about video...
>
> The noise making apps will be running ontop of jack. Google suggest I
> should look into xjadeo with the -i switch. Is that it? Anything
> (formats, codecs, framerates, interlaces other-stuff-I-dont-get) that I
> should ask for or try to avoid?
>
> Any input, including links, tips, thoughts, would be highly appreciated!

:O

You're asking for a walkthrough on Sound for Film!

To start you off, frame rate is the most important. But of course, on Linux,
we have more than enough tools to convert foreign sources into workable
formats. On something like Pro Tools, if there is a frame rate mismatch with
source and project, the track's apparent rate will be highlighted in red.

Formats, Codecs: You are limited to what the video syncing application
supports, but it's not a big issue since you don't need to worry about it.
Again, frame rate _is_ an issue and we assume it is taken care of properly
when converting.

(De)interlacing: Nothing to do with audio, but you should get to know it.

xjadeo + ardour isn't the most intuitive of workflows, but for some people
it just works :)

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD