Re: [LAU] composing for video

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:54:31 EET

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> A friend of mine has invited me to compose for some videos he's planning
> on making. We haven't started yet, but I thought it might be good to be
> a bit ahead, especially since I haven't done this before and I know next
> to nothing about video...
>
> The noise making apps will be running ontop of jack. Google suggest I
> should look into xjadeo with the -i switch. Is that it? Anything
> (formats, codecs, framerates, interlaces other-stuff-I-dont-get) that I
> should ask for or try to avoid?
>
> Any input, including links, tips, thoughts, would be highly appreciated!

I've been exploring the world of Linux-based NLEs for a while, perhaps
you'll be interested in these articles:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introducing-openshot

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/kdenlive-meets-studio-dave

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/it-lives-video-editing-foss-movie-makers

A profile of CinelerraCV will be up soon. I'm also putting the finishing
touches to profiles about Blender, PiTiVi, OpenMovieEditor, Avidemux,
and Kino.

At what stage(s) are you involved ? Will you only be composing the music
or will you be involved with the audio/video post-production ? The music
composition part isn't so tough, the post-production can be rather
bewildering. You'll select different formats and options to accommodate
your intended targets, and target formats depend on purpose and
residence, i.e. is it a polished demo for a DVD, a low-res clip for
YouTube/Vimeo/Facebook/self-advertisement-tool-du-jour, a DV file
destined for a camcorder tape, or ... ?

HTH,

dp