Re: [LAU] which ubuntu-studio for intel i7?

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 07:09:13 EET

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 02:12 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:
> On 12/8/09, Scott <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Andras Simon wrote:
> >>
> >> Not to hijack this thread, but where do you get your RT kernel for
> >> Fedora? CCRMA? Or do you roll your own?
> >
> > CCRMA. See this link:
> >
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/12/x86_64/repoview/
>
> There are a few important applications (ardour, for example) that I
> don't see there
> or here:
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/12/x86_64/repoview/Applications.Multimedia.group.html
>
> This may be a problem, because ordinary Fedora musical applications
> can't be used with CCRMA's core (kernel, jackd, etc.), I think.

That is incorrect. If you have an example let me (and/or the appropriate
Fedora maintainers) know.

If an application is built to use the ALSA or Jack API's then it should
be able to use CCRMA's kernel or jack. It does not matter if the
application was built within the Fedora or the Planet CCRMA
infrastructures or is hosted in either server.

Applications like Ardour and many others that used to be part of the
Planet CCRMA repositories have migrated to Fedora (so you won't find
them in the aforementioned pages). The less applications that are left
in Planet CCRMA the better, as Fedora then becomes more complete in
audio terms out of the box.

-- Fernando