Re: [LAU] Composing fast[was] LAM annual Best of mix 2009

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 10:50:11 EET

Brent Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Ken Restivo wrote:

>>> It's called flow :-)
>>>
>>> Seriously, you're an improvising musician, and shouldn't be surprised
>>> that the more you compose under the same premises (no going back, first
>>> idea makes it), the more it's gonna feel natural to the listener.
>>>
>>> I try to compose as fast as possible. Then I listen to the result,
>>> sometimes for weeks, mostly just the next day, and rework parts that for
>>> some reason doesn't work. I also have no problem with throwing an entire
>>> composition away, I'd rather do that than sit and stare at the paper.
>>> There's always another composition to work on.
>>>
>>> What you (and I, so I should say "we") should really wonder, is which
>>> piece of audio software under linux *really* supports this way of
>>> working. Besides freewheelin (which only works with certain types of
>>> music), I can't really think of any :-(
>>>
>> That's an excellent question. Freewheeling is great for "loopy" stuff.
>> Other than that, I can't think of anything better.
>>
>> The best workflow for recording that I had, back when I was doing a
>> lot of recording, was a hack involving Seq24 and Hydrogen. I'd sync
>> them up with JACK transport, start with a beat or bassline, using
>> 16-bar or 32-bar "loops" (seq24 is a loopy thing too), and then put
>> 64-bar "loops" over the top which were basically solos. I'd come up
>> with several variations of the beats and stagger them in some order
>> using Hydrogen. Then hit play and start turning loops on and off.
>> Sometimes I'd mute drum tracks or mess around with Hydrogen.
>>
>> But, again, that worked only for flat, jammy, unstructured, DJ-style,
>> groove pieces, which is what I was writing. There may have been a way
>> to use the same tools for more structured pieces, but I never explored
>> it. Seq24's song mode didn't work on my 64-bit system (still might
>> not; haven't checked in a while).
>
> Sometimes I do like to turn off the bars/beats/ticks ruler in Ardour,
> forget about quantizing (or throw sequencing out the window entirely),
> and just record, and let the quarter note pulse come from me. Then I
> can just record layers over it. It's almost as free as 4-track
> cassette...but *much* better audio quality...

That's sort of like me. I'm horrible at deciding beforehand just how
fast a piece should be, or what time signature it should use. (I'm still
trying to figure out the time signature of the little riff in the
improvisation I posted a few weeks ago - and I've been playing that riff
for 4-5 years now.) So I'll arm a track in Rosegarden and just start
playing - then have to sort through the resulting mess when I've finally
played my way to the time/tempo the song wants.

Perhaps I should request a new feature in Rosegarden: a "no time
signature" mode. Just let the notes come in as they may - and clean it
up afterwards.

I just asked about that on the Rosegarden-users list, will see what
comes of it.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden