[LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 10:31:00 EET

Just wondering. Without an RT kernel here, my 2 laptops seem to run my
simple audio needs pretty well at 64msec latency. At least, it's never
bothered my playing along with computer-generated audio.

I don't do any heavy-duty audio work here. Once I tried Jackrack, put
one effect in it (that worked) or one amplifer (that worked) but trying
to use both didn't. But I don't know if that had so much to do with
latency or lack of RT kernel as with a smallish amount of memory and an
underpowered processor driving the whole thing. Now that I''ve upgraded
the memory on both laptops, perhaps it would work? On musicbox, with
512MB, using a single good quality (larger) soundfont was enough to
cause problems. With 768MB in it, it works without problems.

I see people on the list running much lower latencies than 64msec, and
seemingly trying to get even lower ...

So, just wondering.

--
David