Re: [LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

From: Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 18:40:29 EET

2009/12/16 david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>:
> I didn't say I thought 64msec was fine, but that it works and I was just
> wondering what value going lower would be.

Yes of course - no problem.

2009/12/16 Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Tuesday 15 December 2009 22:37:53 Dan S wrote:
>> If you think 64ms is fine then you're probably not doing live
>> beatboxing processing ;). For percussive sounds especially, the
>> latency is immediately obvious to a live musician - for many
>> performers a high latency also manifests in a tendency to slow your
>> tempo down (lagging your performance to keep in sync with the lagged
>> output)...
>
> So if you know your sound has a (constant) delay before its heard, why don't
> you anticipate for that and just make your sound earlier?
> It works, for centuries organists have done so.

2009/12/16 david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>:
> When performing live, *when* I hear a sound is much more important than
> when it originated. I think a musician's brain/neural processing quickly
> picks up the various latencies (distance between the different
> musicians) and adjusts quite well.

Yes, I've performed in latent environments too and I know how it feels
to adjust to the latency and play the music in time. But it can
interfere with the flow especially of fast-and-improvised music in my
experience (personally and observing other beatboxers). So that's why,
for my kind of music performance, I find low latency to be important.

The more general point I made was that latencies tend to cause
performers to slow down. ``Chafe et al. measured the effect on
ensemble tempo for a simple rhythmic task when performers were
separated by various latencies (as in wide-area networking); they
found significant deterioration around 20 ms one-way latency (Chafe,
et al. 2004)'' (quote is from Wright 2004)

Dan