Re: [LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 15:57:32 EET

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Arnold Krille wrote:

> So if you know your sound has a (constant) delay before its heard, why don't
> you anticipate for that and just make your sound earlier?
>
> It works, for centuries organists have done so.
> But to be fair: I use my synths at <20ms.

<grumpy_old_man>
In _MY_ day, we didn't have these fancy LOW-LATENCY
com-PEUT-ers. We listened for the person in the next
village beating on a LOG... and if we wanted to play with
them, we beat on our OWN log. And nothing ever lined up and
it sounded god-aweful, and WE LIKED IT! WE LOVED IT!
</grumpy_old_man>

:-)

-gabriel

p.s. For centuries, organists haven't kept steady tempo,
either....