Re: [LAU] How do I install kernel 2.6.32

From: Martin Horn <martin.horn@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 00:10:23 EET

2009/12/17 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>

> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 22:23 +0000, james morris wrote:
> > On 16/12/2009, "Martin Horn" <martin.horn@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >I need a 2.6.32 kernel for my soundcard to run, but I can't find it by:
> >
> > For what reason?
>
> This is the important question.

It is reported that my soundcard (Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ) works best
with 2.6.32 and that kernel 2.6.30 is required as minimum. The card uses the
snd-usb-caiaq module and 2.6.32 is higly recommended because of Git commits
a9b487f<http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a9b487f>,
ac9dd9d<http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ac9dd9d>.
I don't understand these in detail so I don't know how they would affect
performance.

> > >apt-cache search linux-headers
> > >
> > >only 2.6.28 is available on my ubuntustudio 8.04 machine and 2.6.31 on
> my
> > >64studio 3.0 machine.
> > >
> > >How can I get a 2.6.32-rt kernel? Do I have to compile it myself?
> >
> > By Downloading the 2.6.32 kernel source and then downloading a patch
> > (which does not exist yet) to make it rt.
>
> You should NOT do this on Ubuntu Studio (or any Ubuntu) unless you want
> to fix real borkage. Try upgrading to the latest Ubuntu Studio, it may
> have 2.6.31 at least (not sure on whether they have 2.6.32, maybe in the
> latest alpha?).

I installed a 2.6.31 kernel via apt-get on my 64studio machine but booting
the kernel doesn't work ("this kernel requires the following features not
present on your cpu: pae"). If anybody can help with this - thanks a lot!

A bit of an explanation, in Ubuntu (like most distros) the kernel
> version and various packages in the system are closely tied together,
> such that a jump from 2.6.28 to 2.6.32 is likely to result in quite a
> few problems.

I understood that now, though I hope I will not have to wait for the next
release to get my card to work...

Thanks again,
Martin