Re: [LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 19 2009 - 19:40:33 EET

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, robert lazarski wrote:

> linux (opensuse 11.2) . I have jackd seemingly running properly. I'd
> like to capture the MIDI coming out of the Oasys, capture it on linux
> into perhaps a midi file, and then edit the notes so that they match
> the kit on the Jomox. If that plan makes sense, once I get to that
> point I could use any midi sequencer to get the pattern to the jomox.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Simplest solution I can think of:

1. Use arecordmidi (ALSA) to record the output of the MIDI
    port to a SMF (simple midi file).

2. Use your favorite SMF editor to remap the notes.

Another option is if someone has something like a MIDI
plug-in that you could configure to translate MIDI events.
I don't know of any off the top of my head... but maybe
someone else does.[1]

HTH,
Gabriel

[1] If it were /me/, I would write one because it sounds
     like a simple and fun side project. But, it's not
     me and would take longer than using arecordmidi.